1. You will need to know in which cemetery and section the monument will be placed. Some cemeteries have different requirements per section on what can be placed in them.
2. You will also need to have all the information that you would like to put on the monument (correct spellings of names and dates) and if your are wanting a double you will need to know which side of the monument the names will go on.
3. Bring all pictures or images that you will want recreated and placed on the monument.
First you must determine whether the monument is marble or granite (refer to the color page to help you determine which yours is). If granite, you can use granulated Tide laundry detergent, mix it with water, and use a stiff brissel brush to scrub off the mold. Be sure to rinse the monument well after cleaning. If marble, use Clorox diluted with water and scrub with a brush. Be sure not to leave the Clorox mixture on the stone very long and be sure to rinse well. We also carry an environmentally-friendly cleaner that will clean both marble and granite and it is not required to rinse the marker after cleaning. If you’ve tried the methods listed above and are still not able to clean the stone, we carry an acid that will usually do the trick.
- If you desire a saddle (a flower holder that clamps to the top of the stone), be sure to ask the florist for stainless steel. Plastic coated clamps can crack, allowing the metal to rust and then permanently discolor the stone.
- If your stone is located in a place where mold is likely to grow, such as under trees or in areas where other stones show signs of mold, consider buying an all-polished stone. This will prevent mold attachment and growth.
- When purchasing an upright monument, consider the size of the base. Many monument companies only allow 6″ on each side of the upright stone, which does not allow much space to add a vase to the side of the stone. If a vase is ever desired in the future, it can make the monument less stable. The stone will be less likely to settle or sink with a wider and longer base.